Friday, June 28, 2013

American foods week at Aldi

I saw more "American" style products than usual earlier this week when I was shopping at Aldi; I wrote about "BBQ" marshmallows and pickled hot dogs here. I was speaking to a colleague and he said that once a year, usually around the 4th of July, Aldi has an "American week" and they feature additional American products.

I noticed in an advert that there was "American popcorn," but the description said it was sweet. Um, no, that's not American style! It wasn't caramel corn; it's popcorn with the light layer of sugar on it. Sorry, Aldi, no dice.

My colleague said that the American hamburger patties and the spare ribs weren't so great at Aldi. However, he raves about the American style ice cream there and the bonus is that it's available all the time. When I perused the Aldi website, I saw that it's called the Premium American Ice Cream Selection and includes such flavors as Vanilla Caramel Brownie, Chocolate Cookies, Chocolate Brownie and Cookies & Cream.

2 comments:

  1. The sweet/salty is called Kettle Corn. It is actually sold (a lot) in the US. Personally, I think it´s nasty. I bought it once by accident when it first came out.
    My husband picked up some peanuts covered in corn flakes and chocolate during American week. I didn´t know they existed either, and posted a pic on FB- my Southern friends set me straight. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I've seen it, but it's pretty much just at fairs/festivals/special events. At least in Michigan, it is :) I have seen it as microwavable popcorn in the stores but if there is prepared popcorn for sale, it's just salted/buttered, or sometimes there's caramel corn.

    So the peanuts/corn flakes thing is something that is done in the South? Interesting; we don't do that in Michigan. Man, the regional variety in the States is something!

    ReplyDelete