Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Scenes from Kaiserslautern, downtown, March

I took these pictures in March. I am also behind on posting stuff. That is true.

View to the east, mostly, from the pedestrian bridge by the Pfalztheater in downtown Kaiserslautern.


Anyway, see the skies? This is pretty much what they looked like all winter. It sometimes made me feel a bit grumpy and I'm sure it didn't help with my jetlag, which felt like it lasted for six weeks when I got here. Is that even possible, to have jetlag for six weeks, or was it just seasonal depression?

The later part of spring brought with it some more sunshine but it still has seemed to be cloudier than what spring would normally be, not that I've lived here that long to really know ;)

Volksbank, with a ghostly looking photobomber.

So, what is downtown Kaiserslautern like? Is all of it full of historical buildings, like the ones pictured here? No. During World War II, between 60-70% of Kaiserslautern was bombed. Much of the city was rebuilt. There are some pockets of left over, beautiful old buildings, but there are also a lot of not-so-gemütlich buildings, too. Some are rather ugly, but at least it's a small percentage; most are just, well, ordinary.

No comments:

Post a Comment