Sunday, June 2, 2013

Stairway to heaven at Real, or, Escalator to the parking garage

There is a large shopping complex at the very eastern edge of Kaiserslautern. It's called the Pfalz Center and includes Real (which is like a Walmart with a large grocery section), Aldi, Rossman (like Rite Aid), some clothing stores, a travel agency, a dry cleaner, a place to have copies of keys made, a baker, a Turkish deli (caution! the food there is delicious but also expensive, at least for the deli stuff), and some other stores.

It's a very large shopping center; half of the parking is above ground and the other half is underneath. There is a special escalator right as one enters the shopping center. The carts for the whole complex are kept in the subterranean parking garage and to bring them upstairs, one uses the escalator. I don't think I've ever seen this before when I was living in the US. I have seen this at other stores, too, like Kaufland, which is on the other side of town.

To the Shopping Cart Cave!

The underground parking garage is also the site of a weekend Flohmarkt, or flea market, on Saturdays. I stopped by on one Saturday during the winter. There were maybe about ten vendors with antiques, junk, and clothes.


2 comments:

  1. The Whole Foods complex in Austin has much the same setup - the magnetized belt on the escalator to catch the shopping carts was super strong and always caught me a bit off guard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa, I didn't realize it was magnetized! I'll have to try to examine it a little more closely next time, without breaking into German Staring Mode. I never get a cart so I didn't know about that part.

    ReplyDelete