Friday, October 25, 2013

Restaurant review: Kerwan Restaurant, Saarbrücken


Kappenstraße 16
66111 Saarbrücken

I ate here earlier this year, in the spring, so this review won't be incredibly thorough and I'll stick to the major remembrances.

First of all, I was rather desperate for some Lebanese cuisine at that point since besides Mexican food, it's my favorite. Lebanese food is in short supply where I live. I arranged a trip with a friend to Saarbrücken to see the castle and have lunch at Kerwan so I could get my "fix."

We sat outside in a pleasant side street where the restaurant is located. I didn't go inside the restaurant, so I can't comment to that. Service was slow and somewhat inattentive, which is unfortunately not rare in Germany. It is always surprising to me when a waitress will take an order from one table and then actively ignore her other table that hasn't been checked on in quite some time. I'm not sure if I ever will become accustomed to this.

Anyway, I ordered an appetizer platter with hummus, baba ghanoosh, and some falafel. It was all okay. It wasn't as delicious as some of the things I've eaten in Dearborn, Michigan, but that bar was set high so I won't hold it against Kerwan too much. However, the one thing that was incredibly odd was that we were served a bread that was similar to panini bread instead of the traditional Middle Eastern pita bread. It was a strange experience! I prefer pita bread.

The odd, grilled bread.
My friend ordered a platter that was basically a big pile o' meat. He said the meat tasted good but the salad was not to his liking as it appeared to be lacking any type of dressing. This is unusual for Germany, as usually the salads are just drenched with dressing.

The pile o' meat platter that I am too lazy to edit so it's the right orientation.


I would rate this experience as so-so. It was very difficult to get our waitress's attention as she was not very attentive. The food was mostly okay and the price was moderate. However, I can't say that I would rush back.

No comments:

Post a Comment