Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Being sick: be careful what you wish for!

Monday was a day off for us since it was MLK Day. I originally wanted to take a 3-day weekend trip but my normal travel companions were either sick or unavailable and I wasn't feeling a lot of motivation to do anything. Instead, I made a doctor's appointment to get a refill of medication. In the back of my mind, I was thinking, "gee, it's a shame to make an appointment for just this instead of doing the routine stuff when I'm there because I'm sick so I can only have one doctor's bill." It's expensive to go to the doctor as an expat (heck, it's expensive in the US, too), even though I have insurance (and I'm grateful for it, but still...it's expensive). I like to get as much done at the doctor's at one time since I'm there about 2-3 times a year (darn sinus infections).

It's eerie how many times I've thought about how it would be interesting if things went this way or that...and then it actually happens! I understand coincidence and all, but sometimes the synchronicity is there, methinks. I made the doctor's appointment last week when I felt perfectly fine. By the time I went to the office on Monday, my ears felt stuffed up and I was feeling slightly feverish. It turns out I was sick, after all, with the  dreaded sinus infection. Even though it was early in the sickness, the physician's assistant I see gave me antibiotics. My sinus infections work like clockwork and by the next morning I had a raging fever and could barely get out of bed. So, the doctor's appointment and staying home this weekend ended up being very fortuitous.

To add to my "fun" recovery from my sick adventure, I sneezed and threw my back out. Thankfully, I had some pain pills to take. However, I knew that it would take a long time to get better because of back spasms making everything worse. I had a painful night of sleep where I could barely turn over (even with painkillers) so as soon as I woke up, I made another doctor's appointment. I've had a faster recovery in the past by getting a muscle relaxer and steroids shot and the physician's assistant concurred that it would be a good idea.

The shots had me walking around a bit better. I still hurt but at least it's not excruciating any more. The only goofy thing is that where I got the shot in my arm was swollen and looked as if I had a muscle on top of a muscle. Apparently they had to inject a lot of the fluid there. It's gone down now. I'm just thankful that I can get up to fetch a glass of water and walk much better. It's back to work tomorrow for me. I'm not super excited about that as I'm still feeling not so great, but I've been gone for two days and need to go back.

No comments:

Post a Comment