Thursday, April 3, 2014

Restaurant Review: Eiscafé Roma in Kaiserslautern

Eiscafe Roma
Pariser Str. 38
67655 Kaiserslautern



Since the weather has been so nice, many seasonal businesses that were shuttered for winter have re-opened for the season in Kaiserslautern. I was going to have ice cream at the recently reopened Eiscafe Rialto, my favorite, but the line was out the door (it's that good!) so I decided to try another ice cream parlor: Eiscafé Roma, near the Pfaffplatz and the hospital.

There was a decent selection of ice cream flavors with fruity, chocolatey, and somewhat unusual flavors. I would guess there were about 15 different flavors with standards like strawberry, vanilla, and chocolate. I did note some flavors that aren't always available at ice cream places: blauengel (blue angel, which somewhat reminds me of Superman ice cream in the US) as well as Waldmeister, which is...well, it's really hard to describe the taste! I would have to say it's somewhat like Superman flavor, but with a slight bit of...hmm, mint? It's very, very slight so it's not overwhelming. I haven't had a similar flavor in the US. There was also creme caramel and tiramisu, for those looking for richer flavors.

Prices are 70 cents for a small scoop or 1 euro for a big scoop for a takeaway cone. Different ice cream concoctions, including the popular spaghetti eis (ice cream made to look like a bowl of spaghetti), are available.

I decided on one scoop of sahne kirsch (cream cherry) and one of Waldmeister. I hate to say this, but I wasn't super impressed. The Waldmeister wasn't super flavorful and the cherries in the sahne kirsch almost had a bubble gum flavor. I definitely prefer the creamy, very flavorful ice cream at Eiscafe Rialto (review available here), where the cherries taste like actual cherries and at half the cost of Roma's, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment