Sunday, May 18, 2014

The tables are turned

Many of my local friends and I come from places with cold winters. I'm talking like anywhere from 0-40 degrees F in the winter. Therefore, we're accustomed to cold weather. Here in Kaiserslautern, it can get cold in the winter, but it's not as cold/snowy as home is.

The funny thing is that it can be 60 degrees F and the Germans are bundled up in heavy winter coats, scarves, and hats. My friend and I were in light sweatshirts and jeans. We are always surprised at how bundled up people were.

I got to hear the other side of it: after a sweaty hike, I was wearing a t-shirt and shorts. A resident of Germany was bundled up in (of course) a Jack Wolfskin coat. She shivered, looking at me, and wondered if I was cold. I actually wasn't, because of the hike. I laughed though, because here we always think they're dressed too warmly and they think we're not dressed warmly enough.

To be fair, this isn't just a thing here. I visited Las Vegas one April and it was about 80 degrees F, but with no humidity. There were people wearing jackets! I was completely floored. I guess that's what happens when one adapts to the environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment