Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Moo is such a weirdo

I love having Moo the cat as a pet. He's friendly, soft, and sweet. However, he's also a bit of a weirdo.

He likes to smell my hand. Then he tries to shove my finger up his nose and trails his face on my finger so it somewhat catches on his lips. He ends up even wiping his teeth on my finger! None of this is aggressive in the least bit and it's not biting; he's gentle, but does get moisture from his nose and mouth on my hand and then I have to go wash it. Ew. I love animals but am not so into the slobber.

I have been reading about cats and learned that a lot of this is very friendly behavior. Cats have various scent glands around their bodies, including on the their cheeks. That's why they rub their faces on humans of choice; it's like saying, "lady, I own you so I'm going to mark you as mine with my scent. (Isn't that awesome?)"

On the other hand, it doesn't sound like Moo's behavior of trying to stick my finger up is his nose is normal cat behavior. I think that's where he failed in Cat School 101 and he might just be a bit dumb. I'm glad he thinks highly of me but I'd be cool if he just wiped his face on me instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment