Thursday, October 22, 2015

My week: October 18 ed.

The previous week spilled into this week some, as Monday was a federal holiday and I was finishing up my trip to Leipzig. On the way home, my train had a delay and I missed my connection at Fulda. Instead, I stayed on the train and transferred at Frankfurt. Strangely enough, I think I ended up taking the same exact last train that I would have anyway and got home at the expected time. Crazy how that works out, huh?

On Friday, K invited me to a Tim Fischer concert. Neither of us had any idea of who he was; I said yes immediately because I could figure out who he was at the concert ;) I'm open to new experiences and this turned out to be a cabaret performance at the Fruchthalle in downtown Kaiserslautern.

It was an opportunity to practice listening to German, especially as songs. I don't have a lot of experience in that and it was definitely tested because Fischer effected regional dialects for many songs.

Sunday saw an invite from my friends D and S for dinner. They made a delicious salad and a cabbage/pumpkin casserole. I don't know if this is a trait of the German people, but many folks that I've met make some dang good homemade salad dressing. My tandem partner does, too. Usually it's some sort of mix of balsamic vinegar, olive oil, some sort of mustard, etc. I'm glad for this experience because it makes me realize that it's not hard to make some dressings from scratch and from ingredients that aren't difficult to keep on hand.

We finished our visit with a walk. I think D would have preferred our customary walk through the woods, but my foot was hurting me (it is probably plantar fasciitis) so I suggested a shorter walk downtown. We encountered a special Sunday open day for shopping. Normally stores are closed Sundays so people flock downtown to shop on the open day. We perused some stores and parted ways. It was a peaceful end to the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment