Friday, January 29, 2016

A new language-learning game and parrots gone wrong


My tandem partner is taking learning English very seriously; every time I visit her, she's been listening to a new podcast or trying a new video online. She recently found the great idea of parroting what a native speaker says to improve pronunciation. It actually does work really well; I tried it in German and found that my pronunciation wasn't so awful afterward.

We tried it in English. It went like this:

Me: Okay, let me think of something to say.

Her: Okay, let me think of something to say.

Me: No, wait, I'm not ready yet. Let me think of a sentence.

Her:  No, wait, I'm not ready yet. Let me think of a sentence.

Me: Stop!

Her: Stop!

[giggling]

Me: You know, this is kind of acting like an a**hole parrot!

Her: You know...

[raucous laughter from both of us]

No comments:

Post a Comment